Dear Monarch Academy Annapolis families,
As we prepare for our 1st day of school, we have many details to share with you. We appreciate your patience as we work through challenges that have occurred this summer. Know we are addressing all known issues and we can’t wait to open on Tuesday. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
- On Tuesday, all students will exit buses and cars at their designated locations (same as last year; cars at Monarch Landing) and all students will meet in the gym where their teachers will be waiting for them. Non-classroom teachers will assist in helping students find their grade and teacher. Grade level signs are color coordinated around the gym 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th , with teacher names on them.
- If a student forgets or does not know their teacher assignment, non-teaching staff will have all assignments in their hands and will be actively monitoring and supporting students. Please tell your children to find an adult and they will show them to their teacher.
- Classes will remain in the gym to collect classmates and we will do a quick, whole school Morning Announcements to kick off the year.
- Remember, our doors open at 8:15am and students are to be in school by 8:30 daily.
- Parents of students in grades 1-5 should plan to Kiss-and-Go on the first day of school, just like every other day. We have to keep that car rider line moving, so please do not park unless it is absolutely necessary. Our teachers will be working diligently to ease anxieties and to gather their new students. They are not able to meet parents at this time.
- Breakfast will be available, free of charge, for all students when they arrive in their classrooms.
- Students will spend the day meeting their teacher and new friends to establish a strong learning community. Teachers have planned many fun activities that will facilitate connections and also teach school procedures and expectations which will help our day and year be smooth.
- Kindergarten families who have conferences on Tuesday and Wednesday: Remember to bring your ID to school as you must be scanned into our system and you must wear the badge to obtain entrance to our classrooms. Kindergarten students are invited to join for the conference!
- Remember, you can send school supplies in over multiple days. No need to send everything on day 1.
- Also, our health room will be open at 8am should you need to drop meds off or meet with the nurse or health assistant.
- All students will be provided their ID number to carry with them to lunch so they can easily get lunch if they are buying.
- All AACPS security practices are in place during all instructional days. All adults must come to the main office to get a visitor’s badge and must present ID to be scanned into the system.
- Our afternoon dismissal structure has been modified to expedite the process, reduce the walking expectation for our youngest students, and to better ensure safety. Students whose teachers are upstairs will load the buses from the main entrance. Then the bus will travel to the back of the school. Students whose classes are downstairs will load from the same interior locations (gym and hallway exits) as last year. Car riders will load from the same point as last year, Monarch Landing.
- If you will be using the car rider line, pay close attention to traffic patterns and adults on duty. They will be stopping cars to allow buses to exit near the primary playground. Parents are advised not to park in the front parking lot if you need to exit during afternoon dismissal. Our buses will be staging in that area beginning at 2:30 and no cars will be able to exit until dismissal is over.
- Please share your child’s normal after school dismissal mode of transportation (car rider, bus color, Y Care) in this survey or send a note in with your child so the teacher knows your wishes.
- Students will bring home a lot of information and forms this week. We know it’s a LOT. Please take time to go through their folders and return forms as quickly as possible.
- Emergency forms are needed ASAP. Day 2 would be ideal 🙂 This information will ensure we can reach you if there is an emergency and will allow us to begin updating contact information.
- I’m excited to share that all students will receive an orange take home folder to organize papers from school—please check it regularly. Also, students in grades 2-5 will receive an agenda book later in the week to keep track of assignments, important due dates, and much more!
- We’ve heard that several families are noting they are not receiving communications from us. We’ve dug into the data from our ConnectEd messaging system. The success rates of emails/texts/calls/tweets are typical. Some of the challenges could be related to SPAM filters (please check and approve domains ending in aacps.org and monarchacademy.org), texting opt out/in features (some have turned off our texts), and some have ‘bad’ numbers. We are continuing to explore this and urge anyone who is not receiving communication to email us at email@example.com.
- During the first weeks of school we will have a dedicated phone line for transportation questions/challenges. Please call 410-934-1467.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, please know, you have an amazing team of faculty and staff working at Monarch Annapolis who can’t wait to meet your children and partner with you this year. We know you are anxious about the start of a new school year, with new adults in your child’s life, and for some of you, a brand new school. We have planned and prepared tirelessly. We have encountered hurdles and challenges this summer, but on Tuesday we will warmly welcome your children into school, do our best to excite them about the year ahead of us. Our teachers will be building strong communities in each classroom, teaching school routines and expectations, and launching an amazing of teaching, learning, and growing. It’s going to be an awesome first day and new school year.
Many of our teachers have created a quick video tutorial to introduce themselves and show you a glimpse into the classroom. I’m excited to share these with you and hope you enjoy them. These files are stored on a Google file and may direct you to Google Drive to access. Our PTA will also post these on their page.
One final update: The large holes in the road have been filled and the water line work is done. Bonus: Our water line was expanded which will help us in the long run.
We will be in touch again tomorrow!
Rachel V. Amstutz, NBCT